“And there will be strange signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. People will be terrified at what they see coming upon the earth, for the powers in the heavens will be shaken. Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand and look up, for your salvation is near!” Luke 21:25-28
The astronomical phenomenon of a blood moon or Hunter’s Moon, is actually a lunar eclipse; the earth’s shadow covering the moon in front of the sun. When this happen, the earth’s atmosphere will bend the sunlight around its edge and scatters out the shorter-wavelength light (the green-blue-violet), leaving only the longer-wavelength light (red-orange-yellow) in the earth’s shadow, casting them onto the moon. Thus, a reddish-blood moon.
While the blood moon phenomenon is not uncommon, a lunar tetrad (four consecutive total lunar eclipses, spaced at six lunar months apart from one another) happening during the Jewish holy-days – the Passovers, Yom Kippur and the Feasts, will only happen 8 times in all of the current 21 centuries:
- In 162-163 AD, a lunar tetrad occurred during the Passover and Feast of Tabernacles; coinciding with the worst persecution of Jews and Christians in the history of the Roman Empire. And in turn, within 3 years, the Antonine Plague killed eight million people, a third of the population.
- In 795-796 AD, a lunar tetrad occurred during the Passover and Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement); King Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire established a DMZ buffer zone between France and Spain, ending centuries of Arab invasions into Western Europe.
- In 842-843 AD, a lunar tetrad occurred during the Passover and Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) and shortly after, the Vatican church in Rome was attacked and looted by an Islamic invasion from Africa.
- In 860-861 AD, a lunar tetrad occurred during the Passover and Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) and shortly after, the Byzantine Empire defeated Arab armies at the Battle of Lalakaon in Turkey and permanently stopped the Islamic invasion of Eastern Europe.
- In 1493-1494, a lunar tetrad occurred during the Passover and Feast of the Trumpets; months later, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain banished all Jewish people out of the country, which is the second largest Jewish settlement for well over a millennia going back to 200 AD, called The Spanish Expulsion. However, the same year when the Jews were physically expelled in 1492 AD, God provided a place for the Jews when Christopher Columbus discovered America.
- In 1949-1950, a lunar tetrad occurred during the Passover and Feast of Tabernacle; during the 1st Arab (Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq)-Israelis War, Israel’s War of Independence, just after Israel had become a nation again for the first time in 2,000 years. The first elected permanent government took office on 25th January 1949. And on May 1949, Israel took its seat as the 59th member of the United Nations.
- In 1967-1968, a lunar tetrad occurred during the Passover and Feast of Tabernacle; coinciding with the Six-Day War when Israel recaptured Jerusalem. As Israel’s neighbours prepared to destroy the Jewish state, Israel in self-defence, launching a pre-emptive strike (5 June 1967) against Egypt in the South, followed by a counter attack against Jordan in the East and the routing of Syrian forces entrenched on the Golan Heights in the North. At the end of six days of fighting, Israel’s sovereign land was further enlarged, with Judea, Samaria, Gaza, the Sinai Peninsula, and the Golan Heights under Israel’s control. With the victory, the northern civilian villages were freed from 19 years of Syrian military shelling; safe Israeli shipping route through the Straits of Tiran; and Jerusalem, which had been divided under Israeli and Jordanian rule since 1949, was reunified under Israel’s authority.
- Another lunar tetrad will happen in 2014-2015. And it won’t occur again for another some 500 years later.
More importantly, in modern history;
In 2014, the first total lunar eclipse will occur on the Passover, 15 April 2014. This is will be followed by a total solar eclipse on the 29 April 2014. Then, the second total lunar eclipse will occur on the Feast of Tabernacles, 8 October 2014, and followed by another solar eclipse on 23 October 2014.
In 2015, the Jewish religious year will begin with a total solar eclipse on the 20 March 2015. Then two weeks later, the third total lunar eclipse will occur on the Passover, 4 April 2015. Then, the civil year will begin with another total solar eclipse on the 13 September 2015, and two weeks later, followed by the fourth blood red moon on the Feast of Tabernacles, on the 28 September 2015.
So in total, there are a consecutive occurance of 4 lunar “blood moon” eclipses, 2 solar “dark sun” and 2 partial solar eclipses. NASA eclipse website
So what does it mean for us now? The sun will become dark, and the moon will turn blood red before that great and glorious day of the Lord arrives. Acts 2:20
No one will know when the Lord will come. But one thing for sure is that we are living in the final significant stages of that glorious day when we will see our Redeemer! While the world wonders in ignorance, while the nations go into turmoil and people feeling terrified; We know these things will have to come. Although we may even be shaking a little (with our little faith), BUT we don’t have to be afraid… On the contrary, we should stand and look up boldly towards the glorious day our dear Lord Jesus will arrive. Our redemption, our very salvation is near!
It is also a wake up call, nevertheless. This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Romans 13:11-13
In the meantime, there is plenty for us to do… We are the Ambassadors for Christ in these end times; God is making his appeal through us, to proclaim His forgiveness and reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:20) to the people in the world.
It’s time to shine!